The artist comprehends and makes strong compositional, layout, and design choices.
7-Artist demonstrates advanced skills in design, layout, and composition.
- The artist makes exceptional design, layout, and compositional choices, including, but not limited to, visual and psychological weight, visual balance, emphasized areas, and tension
- The artist uses formal design vocabulary fluently with complete understanding
6-Artist demonstrates proficiency in design, layout, and composition.
- The artist makes sound and acceptable design compositional and layout choices, considering several design devices
- The artist uses formal design vocabulary appropriately, demonstrating a basic understanding of design concepts
5- Artist needs improvement in design, layout, and composition.
- The artist considers and demonstrates only one or two design devices, leaving some areas unbalanced or unresolved
- The artist requires prompting or partial explanation in order to articulate an understanding of design concepts
4- Artist does not meet the standard in design, layout, and composition.
- The artist does not choose or utilize appropriate design devices, leaving the composition or layout unbalanced or unresolved
- The artist cannot articulate a verbal or visual understandin