Your mission: Recreate a famous painting on a 3D surface - shoes.
Acrylic Paint - Acrylics are water-based paints, which means they can be mixed with water to thin them down and you clean your brushes with water. They’re made from pigment mixed with acrylic resin and emulsion. Acrylics are very fast drying and can be use in thin, watery glazes or impasto.
Books with different paintings & painting movements, Shoes, Brushes, Gesso, Sand paper, Pencil, Acrylic paints (variety of colors)
PowerPoint on Cows on Parade & Appleart (see assignment documnet tab), Library time
The cows are, in fact, the objects of art; they are life size models made of resin, on which the artists create their own works of art. The model cows serve the artists as a three-dimensional canvas.
Phase 1 - Introduction & Planning
• PowerPoint - cows on parade and appleart & student examples
• Library Day - Look through books and find a few pieces of artwork that you are drawn to
• Research - Pick one artist and one piece by the artist and find out as much as you can about them (answer questions on worksheet)
• Brainstorm and Draw - Sketch out 5-6 well developed drawings exploring the painting you are drawn to (parts or all of it)
• Demonstrate: How to prepare their shoes. (10 min)
- Take out laces (if there are any)
- Sand down shoes really well
- Paint gesso over entire shoe are that is going to be painted (not the bottom but inside if they wish to paint a coordinating inside color or design)
- Let dry until next class
• Prep shoes
Phase 3 - Painting the Shoes
•Demonstrate: How to begin (7 min)
Sketch out design on shoes
• Demonstrate: How to use the paint (10 - 15 min)
- Begin with the lighter colors
- Begin with the larger areas, NOT the details!
Step 4 - Finishing
• Once the painting is complete, sharpie over areas to create clean crisp lines where needed
• Clear Coat Finish - to seal and enhance the painted shoe.
Step 5 - Reflecting & Displaying
• Type a brief paragraph explaining what image was chosen, why & how it was interpreted on the shoess
• Display shoe with brief paragraph
Students will display their work in the case outside of the Crafts room. Student will look at and discuss each other’s work in the form of a critique.