Animal Inspired Altered Slab Mug
Mission: Your job is to create an altered slab mug with the incorporation of an animal into the handle. Your mug should be inspired a type of animal that you feel best represents you.
Clay, ceramic tools
- Brainstorm & come up with 10 different examples of animals that you could incorporate into a mug.
- Finalize one mug drawing.
- Get clay and wedge clay
- Flatten your clay to a 1 inch thick rectangle
- Use the slab roller to make a slab
- Cut out a 3.5 inch round base
- Cut out a rectangle that will go around the base (standing up vertically)
- Slip and score the rectangular slab to the round base (and the two ends of the rectangle together
- Weld the seam all around
- Slip, score, stick & weld a coil on the rectangle slab on the inside of the mug
- Using a throwing stick, alter the shape of your mug
- Pull your handle:
- Get out a piece of clay, wedge it and make it onto the shape of a graduated cylinder (cone shape)
- Get out a bucket and fill it with water
- Wet your hand and slowly pull down on the clay
- Continue to pull until you have a long thin piece of clay or handle for your mug
- Cut off the handle
- Place your handle on the mug across from the seam of the slab
- Slip & score the handle to the mug (in all places where it touches the mug)
- Slip & Score a reinforcing coil to the handle
- Add your animal design to the mug
- Carefully sketch out where your design is going to go on the mug and how you will incorporate it into the handle
- Carve or Incise the design into the mug
- Carve & mold your handle into the shape that goes with your animal.
- Write your name on the bottom and today’s date and place your mug in the kiln room.
• Wedge the air out of the clay so the mug does not explode in the kiln
• Brainstorm 10 ideas for mug
• Finalize 1 idea & sketch it out completely
• Create a mug that is inspired by an animal that represents you
• Incorporate an animal into the mug and the handle
• Carve out & mold your design neatly
• Create a mug with a rhythm for the viewer to follow through the pieces as well as create a piece with good use of balance, shape, form, & pattern.