Measure a room in the school, walls, windows, doorways, etc. Take this floor plan and transform it into a new space – store, restaurant, etc.
Materials: Ruler or tape measure, scale ruler, paper, pencil, foam core, glue, exacto knife.
Measuring & Drawing to Scale
1. Practice measuring. Measure as a class our art room (walls, windows & doors)
2. Practice drawing a scale floor plan of our room.
3. Gather your materials (ruler, pencil, paper)
4. Go with your table to the room Mrs. Briggs assigned your group.
5. Carefully measure the walls, windows and doorway(s) of this room.
6. Sketch out a map so you remember the exact location and measurements of the room. (Does not have to be to scale at this point)
7. Come back to the room. Draw a scale map or floor plan of the room you just measured.
8. Brainstorm other possibilities for this space. What will you turn this space into if you could make it anything you wanted? A store, a restaurant, a café, a bowling alley…
9. Once you have your idea, begin to sketch out how the room would look (not to scale)
10. Measure furniture, counters, tables, shelves, etc. If your room requires tables, and such, you need to measure these objects and figure out how many will fit into the space.
11. Draw the furniture to scale (Place them into your scale drawing from step #7)
your new space by filling it up with items necessary to the new space.
13. Bring in foam core
14. Measure & Cut out the floor dimensions and 4 walls
15. Measure and draw the doorway(s) and windows into the walls.
16. Carefully cut out, using the exacto knife, the doorway(s) and windows)
17. Glue the walls together
18. Plan out the interior & measure & cut out objects, steps, fitting rooms, bathrooms, tables, etc.
19. Begin cutting out and placing in the objects.
20. Figure out what other materials you need to complete the room – decorative paper for wall paper, wood like paper for wood floors, paint for the walls, etc.
21. Once completed fill out the rubric and turn in your room.